Sunday, May 9, 2010

Happy Mother's Day


July 19th 2006 I became a mother.  I was given a gift (my daughter.... and later a son) that takes my breath away at every turn.  Something changed in me that day and until recently I had a very hard time putting my finger on what it was... of course I knew the obvious.... I was more responsible and softer hearted but it was something deeper than that.  One day while reading one of my favourite blogs The Blankie Chronicles I came across this post that put into words exactly what I was feeling.  It discussed the idea that as mothers we have a "desire to protect and care for not just our babies, but all children" and that we have a" protective roar that can turn the world upside down".
       This was the change that I had felt...it was the overwhelming feeling that I wanted to protect all children....the ones I saw without proper winter clothing, those that were getting publicly screamed at by their parents, those that were too young to be playing out on the street late at night and the list goes on and on.      
       This mother's day brings much appreciation for my two wonderful children and the joy and excitement that  they bring to my life everyday.  This mother's day I am also thankful for the awareness of this feeling  that I am part of larger whole.... a force of MOTHERS....who can collectively change the world with their "roar".  I am going to work hard to harness this "roar" in my community to make a change...a change that will hopefully make a difference in the lives of the children who really need it.  
Thank you Kate for the inspiration and Happy Mother's Day to you and all the other mothers out there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment