Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Happy Diwali!


  Sri and I decided that we should start introducing the kids to some of his Hindu traditions and beliefs so I thought a party was a great way to jump right in!  Yesterday was the first day (of four) of Diwali.  This is also known as the Festival of Lights and is the biggest of all Hindu festivals.  
 
                                                         We really partied hard!

                           We decorated mason jars with tissue paper to make lanterns.  Our intention was to put them outside for when Sri got home but we got sidetracked and forgot all about it.

                              Anthony's lanterns were slapped together in typical boy fashion

Ava took her time and placed each piece of tissue paper carefully... it actually became painful to watch.

We read the story of Diwali from here and re-enacted it several times.  Anthony was obviously the hero, shooting me (the 10 headed demon) and killing me.   He LOVED it!!!! 

We enjoyed an Indian meal by candlelight.  (ordered from Gate of India....the best!)

To cap off the night we had a traditional Indian dessert.

Fortune cookies- found at the back of the fridge by Anthony!

The kids truly loved learning about Diwali.  I think I had better start my research because I have a feeling that next year the they are going to want to kick it up a few notches.... maybe a trip to India?? in my dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment